Starting help

Thread: Starting help

Junior Member Rookie

Starting help

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. So last weekend I took my 08 ktm 525 xc for a ride on a track. Ran great. I stopped to take a break for like 10 minutes. I got back on and tried to start it but it acted like it was dead. I got it back home and the battery measures 12.54 volts. I turn the key on and the volts drop off to 5.40 volts and obviously doesn't try to start. Any ideas???

Member Rookie
    For the voltage to change that much that fast with no real load I would say a bad cell in the battery. I would try a battery first and go from there. I get the yuasa from amazon or rocky mountain for about $50.

Junior Member Rookie
    Ok thanks. I did mess with it a little this morning. When I turn on the key the neutral light and headlight indicator light were really dim. Then I turned it off and on a few times while testing voltage. Voltage was 12.5 turned off then 5.4 turned on. Then next time I turned key on the voltage held at 12.5 and indicator lights were bright again. Tried to start it and it fired up. Like 6 hrs later I went and checked it again. Lights were dim again and volts low when key turned on. Not sure what is going on. Any ideas? Something with the ignition possibly?

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Junior Member Rookie
    I think you have a bad connection in the - wire. 12.5V means your battery is broken though. It should be at about 13.8 when loaded. 12.5 is empty

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Member Rookie
    A fully charged 12 volt battery should be at 12.6 volts. 12 volt battery has 6 cells at 2.1 volts per cell = 12.6 volts. I assume you are checking your battery with your meter directly on the battery posts. If this is the case and you are getting big swings like you are don't waste your time any further until you get a new battery. Any test you do related to voltage is no good any way until you have a good battery.
    Keep in mind the voltages we are talking about are with the engine off. I have not checked one of these for running voltage with charge back from the stater, a car would be somewhere in the 13.8 area running for example.

Junior Member Rookie
    I'll get a new battery and see if that solves the issue. Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    A battery for a Honda 450R ES fits in the stock battery tray, but is taller and has more cranking amps. Good upgrade from stock without cashing out $150 for a lightweight Lithium one.

Also check the main ground to the frame and all the battery/starter cables for damage where the ends are attached to the cables.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Junior Member Rookie
    Wish i would have known about the Honda 450 battery upgrade... I already ordered the yuasa stock battery and a new ground cable. Wasn't happy with the way the wire looked going into the terminal.

Senior Member Member
    For future reference, yes the Y-7 version of the battery in the 525 does fit and works a treat. I’ve got one in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior Member Rookie
    Tapatalk is the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

Sponsored Links