KTM 525 XC Backfires
    Junior Member Rookie

KTM 525 XC Backfires

I have an 2008 KTM 525 XC. Its an awesome ATV, but if there is one thing I would change it would be to eliminate backfiring. Under heavy acceleration, when I let off the gas it backfires every time and its annoying.

A guy at work told me I probably need a jet kit and told me to check out JDJetting.com. I contacted them and they said instead of a jet kit, I probably just have a slightly plugged pilot jet so I should try that first.

Does anyone have any experience with this backfiring and how they corrected it?

Thanks all for your help.

Senior Member Member
    These quads are notorious for backfiring. It is mostly caused by sucking in cold air on decel between the header and exhaust flange on the cylinder. Some people have welded the flange and header pipe together, some have trimmed the edge of the header pipe to make it fit tighter on the flange.
    08 525xc ≡ 12.5:1 570 bbk, +1 valves, Crower Cam, Houser Bounce Nerfs, Razr 2 rears, Razr fronts, Pro Armor Dominator Bumper, Scotts Steering Damper, Mino Water Pump, FCI intake, KTMBill Skid Plate, FastRanchero 41mm Carb

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    What throttle Jockey said, it isn’t really causing harm. If it bothers you enough I believe the updated part number is SXS02540506 that fixes it or you can carefully take off small amounts of the inlets on the header. I think someone said 1/8th of an inch needs to come off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Junior Member Rookie
    Your head tube is likely to leak at the flange of the head. Very common on RFS engines. You will need to trim off the front of the pipe about 1/8 inch. Usually sealed after that.

Sponsored Links