road legal?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woods Ready

Thread: road legal?

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member

road legal?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

would these E ATV's pass as "road legal" in the states? in ANY state?

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict
    thats awesome would love to buy one in the states

In some states, maybe. I was trying in MI for a while, and the issue I ran into was the solid rear axle...the DMV feels it will make it handle too unpredictable on the road at speeds. While I feel I could handle it just fine, I am sure the masses wouldn't be able to. We would end up with an even worse image in the public's eye.

I think that thing looks sort of dumb, but it would be awesome though! I was super jealous when I was living in Austria for a bit this past summer and seeing guys riding their atvs down the damn road!!! I swear I ALMOST bought another one while I was there!
    Last edited by Woods Ready; 03-05-2014 at 01:48 PM.
    ktmrider1231 likes this.
    '08 KTM 450XC

I am XC Crazy

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

I have longed for this to be legal.... Actually, in Kalifornia if your VIN # was manufactured prior to September of 1985(when they made it illegal for 4 wheelers to be licensed), you CAN get it plated! So, find a nice 1985 Suzuki 250 Quadracer, stuff in a 500 motor, and head to the DMV. No, convincing them of the law is another matter. Here's one in Southern Cal:
    1985 LT 250

Super Moderator KTMATVHQ Guru

I have my xc on the road and it's OK but after being on an mx track it's very tame. You spend a lot of time maxed out in 5th - not nice on an xc engine. It's hard to find a road twisty enough to make it enjoyable. I thought it would better than it actually is.

Senior Member Member
    stick, the thing is to gear it appropriately.
    My 640SMC will pull to over 150kmh, & thats plenty faster than the quads are geared for.
    But it seems slow in comparison to my TL!
    Now yes there are flasher faster bikes out there, but 265+kmh is not hanging round.

If you wanted it for the road, you would want to gear for a theoretical 160+kmh at redline, that way when you're crusing, it isn't revving its head off.
    I'd put the 690 motor in a street quad as it has a 6 speed box.
    Far more suitable than the 5-speeder
    My Bikes:The Beast: Raptor660727cc (105mm piston 14.5:1 CR)3 plug HV ported headDual Kehin FCR39 carbsCustom made full dual exhaustThe Beauty: KTM450XC554 (99mm bore) with Cut7 cam & 43mm carbSX A-Arms & Yamaha Front rimsDual rate rear springs (Thanks Kiwicraig)Rear Spacers to adapt to Yamaha stud patternMods to come:Suspension nextThe SledgehammerSuzuki TL1000SOhlins rear/Racetech kitted forks

Member Rookie
    I also have a road legal 525 xc, mostly use the roads to get to the "fun places" to ride on.

Super Moderator KTMATVHQ Guru

I have 15 on front and 37 on the back this makes me top out at about 80mph. With messing around with a 16 36 I'll only gain about another 10. And with a built engine you get to top out so quick. Just not worth it imo.

Sounds like custom cut 4th and 5th gears in the box are in order...

Sponsored Links