+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member

Crank Bearing Removal

I am going back together with my 525 motor and need to remove the old inner races from the crankshaft bearings so that I can get the spacer shims and gear off to put on the new crank. I was looking through the manual and it shows a special tool with two handles that you have to heat up and then slide it onto the race and then pull it off. It says to use the same procedure to install the new ones.

Has anyone had any luck with getting these off without the tool? I tried to just heat the race with a small torch and pull it off but it seems to be pretty stuck on there. The one I tried though had the bearing going out so it might have been extra stuck from that. Putting the new ones on should not be too difficult if I heat the race and throw the crank in the freezer for an hour, but if I have to re-shim the axial clearance I will have to get them off again.

For you guys that have done this, what is the likelihood of having to reshim the new crankshaft? Hopefully KTM's manufacturing tolerances are good enough that I will not need to re-shim.
    Last edited by quad97; 08-20-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx
    2008 450SX-F two wheeler-complete with thumb throttle

2014 Sponsors- Oneal, SMX Optics, Leatt Brace, Hinson Clutch Components, Amsoil, Twin Air, Chuck's Welding and Repair, and my family.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    as for removing i gave up and took it to the local dealer who said they used a normal bearing remover tool that just slips behind the race... i tried that multiple times each and couldnt get it but who knows. as for the special tool, i ordered it and it had a 2 week wait.

a small torch will not work as it heats the crank up just a quickly as the race. you can try a big torch and just blast it all for a second and try removing it.
    -09 450sx- KTM slip-on, Bills a-arms, Rocket Ron WP's.

-09 450sx- Bill's pipe, and a-arms, PEP Shocks, Baldwin head, Walt's dual squirt AP nozzle and 41.5mm bore.

Both have Quadtech hoods, Ranchero carbs, Kiwi's spring mod, KTM Bill skidplates, High flow water pumps, KTM Bumpers, and Pro Armor Nerfs.

2014 Sponsors- 38 Motorsports, Leatt Brace, Vertex Pistons, 100%, Lucas Oil, Jettrim, Streamline Brakes, Gaerne, KTMPartsHouse

OK, this is NOT how I do engines nowadays, but I did it once when I was with a guy who didn't have the right tools, and needed it done that night. The inner race on the right side can be removed by removing the bolts from the gear that drives the balancer shaft, then putting 2 normal M6 bolts through that gear where the puller attaches and turning them both in like a quarter turn at a time, pressing against the crank, and thus pressing the race off. The other side is a bot more tricky, but can be accomplished if you use a die-grinder to cut notches into the race and then use a puller.

Reinstallation can be accomplished by simply heating the race with a propane torch, then picking it up and dropping it on the crankshaft. It SHOULD fall all the way down and as it cools should lock down on the shaft, just as before.

The real tool is the best way to remove it. And if you have a good spare inner race lying around in good shape, machine it down so that it is a slip-fit, and you can use that to slide on and off and set side-to-side clearance before you heat the race for the final install on the stator side.

Hope that helps.
    -Walt # 728
    Schumacher Race Works LLC
    2008 KTM 525XC GNCC Quad
    2009 KTM 525XC XC Quad
    2008 KTM 250XC XC Bike
    2008 YFZ 450
    XC Quad
    2006 KLX 250S Dual Sport Bike
    2005 Predator 500 XC quad

i say dont mess around with your crank. Its a pain with the puller and near imposible without. Get the proper tool and be done with it. Ill be doing mine this week and dont look forward to it.

Thanks guys, this is all very similar to what I have found myself in the last two days. I was able to get the old races off of the crank by cutting a groove in them with a die grinder and then one tap with a hammer and chisel to split them. I then installed the existing shims on the new crank with the new races by throwing the crank in the freezer and then heating the races a little-they slipped on by hand then.

Checked my clearance and it is at 0.0065". Not enough dang it! Wish I would have thought to use one of the old split races to check my clearance. So I went down to the local KTM dealer to see if they have the tool. They have one, but the owner of the shop is the one who does their intricate motor work and hop-ups and he is never around. They are trying to get ahold of him to see if I can buy the tool from him. At this stage I would even let them do it and I would pay them but I can't even do that if they can't get ahold of him.

So frustrating! And I am trying to have it together for a race this weekend. I might get desperate and try heating the race a little again and use the bolt method to push it off. Speaking of that. I noticed in the service manual it says to only adjust the shims on the mag side of the motor. Is this correct? I figured you would want to have both sides equal but maybe they use the PTO side to locate from?
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx
    2008 450SX-F two wheeler-complete with thumb throttle

2014 Sponsors- Oneal, SMX Optics, Leatt Brace, Hinson Clutch Components, Amsoil, Twin Air, Chuck's Welding and Repair, and my family.

You need the tool man. I would hate for you to damage the new inner races. They take a lot of heat very quickly then a good tug with the tool. If you heat for too long then crank expands also and you're back to square 1. Ask if you can borrow it for a night. Pick it up at close of business and return it 1st thing next day.

Ads